|Baked artisan cheese with Ontario greenhouse salsa
Serves: (6 – 8)
• 2 tbsp. (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
• 1 pound (454 g) artisan cheese, wax removed and cut into ½ inch slices
• 8 fresh herb sprigs: 2 rosemary, 2 sage, 2 thyme and 2 parsley
Method for baked artisan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F/180°C.
2. Pour the extra virgin olive oil into a 10 inch baking dish.
3. Arrange the cheese in an even layer on top of the oil and scatter the fresh herb sprigs on top.
4. Bake until the cheese is soft and gooey, about 25 minutes.
5. Serve immediately with pitas, toasted baguettes and fresh salsa.
• 2 large ripe Ontario greenhouse tomatoes
• 1 - 2 green jalapeño peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and minced*
• ½ tsp. (3 g) salt
• 2 tbsp. (30 g) fresh cilantro, minced
• 1 Ontario greenhouse yellow bell pepper, finely diced
• 2 tsp. (10 ml) freshly squeezed lime juice
Method for salsa
1. Peel, seed and chop the Ontario greenhouse tomatoes.
2. In a mixing bowl, stir in the Ontario greenhouse tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, lime juice and salt.
3. Chill and serve when needed.
Coat peppers with a light layer of vegetable oil. Rotate peppers over open flame, either on a bbq or gas stove, until peppers turn black and blister. If an open flame isn’t available, a broiler can be used. Slice the pepper in half and remove the core, seeds and membrane. On a broiler plate, place peppers open side down and broil until skins are black and blistered. Cover peppers in a bowl and allow to rest
for 15 minutes. Peel the black skin off.
Nutritional Facts per serving (150 g): Calories 250
Fat 18 g (28 %), Saturated Fat 11 g + Trans Fat 0 g (55 %), Cholesterol 75 mg, Sodium 700 mg (29 %), Carbohydrate 6 g (2 %), Fibre 1 g (4 %), Sugars 3 g, Protein 17 g, Vit A (15 %), Vit C (100 %), Calcium (40 %), Iron (4 %).% = % Daily Value
Artisan cheese is made with local ingredients. As a result, the cheese is often more complex in taste and variety.