We are currently looking for a permanent full-time Assistant Packhouse Manager.
The Assistant Packhouse Manager assists the Warehouse Manager by overseeing daily warehouse operations across agreed phases ensuring food safety, proper packaging, quality, shipping, labour, and training requirements are met. They work with the Supervisors to resolve daily operational issues, improve employee training, productivity and customer service.
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensures farm processing & packing warehouses are running smoothly & efficiently and agreed staffing is in place
- Travels to agreed phases daily (based on schedule) to monitor:
- Production, watch packing lines and operations flow to ensure the warehouse teams are following schedules and meeting pack specifications
- Correct containers, labels, stickers, weights, product, etc. are always being used
- QC is checking produce properly and quality requirements are consistently met
- Food Safety and GMP protocols are followed and that standards are being enforced
- Shipping schedules and paperwork are completed and met
- Holds short meetings with supervisors as needed as needed to review/discuss adequate staffing, safety, quality expectations, successes/failures, and work schedules, address any concerns, provides updates, etc.
- Supports Supervisors with explaining proper packing processes to employees
- Regularly updates the WH Manager on manpower needs, schedule adjustments, progress, breakdowns, serious operational issues and daily movement of labour between phases
- Continually monitors the product realization process to ensure effectiveness and efficiency
- Ensures projections are updated daily
- Stays in contact with Sales on a regular basis so Sales have an understanding of quantity and rate of completion
- Keeps WH Manager informed of any serious issues or delays
- Makes recommendations to the WH Manager regarding improvement decisions concerning equipment
- Is always attentive to the level of quality of packing to ensure they meet company and customer standards
- Oversees new hire training, ensuring new hires are successful within their first week/ month, etc.
- Provides feedback, as required, on progressive discipline issues
- With supervisor, HR or Compliance, investigates any incidents or accidents and submits findings to WH Manager and implements agreed corrective action(s) with Supervisor
- Ensures timely communication and positive working relationships with Sales, DC, Greenhouse, Maintenance, Purchasing on a daily basis and works on improving overall communications
- Places work orders as needed and communicates with the Maintenance team as necessary
- Attends and participates in supervisor update meetings
- Provides assistance to Greenhouse Manager during cleanout season, as determined
- Backup to supervisors & WH Manager during their absences or vacations
- 3+ years’ supervisory experience working in a warehouse or greenhouse managing staff, operations, etc.
- Demonstrated success coaching, motivating, encouraging and leading teams; a passion for building an engaged culture
- Must have a strong commitment to quality and customer service
- Excellent attention to detail, ability to follow directions and problem-solve to identify and resolve issues
- Able to maintain respectful relationships and work with employees at all levels and across all departments
- Comfortable with working in a fast-paced environment and meeting time sensitive deadlines
- Critical thinking and ability to make decisions in a timely manner; good judgment and fairness are key
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office including good excel skills
- Valid driver’s license and personal vehicle are required
- Spanish is a definite asset
- Works with a variety people in a team setting, these include locals, offshore workers, contractors, vendors, Growers, Management, Sales, Maintenance, Purchasing, HR, Compliance, etc.
- Exposure to pests in the greenhouse
- Daily travel from phase to phase is required-extended walking/standing
- Work Monday-Saturday, an average of 60-65 hours/week during busy cleanout seasons. Flexibility with work schedule is required
Salary: Wage based on experience
Work Location: Leamington, ON
Job Type: Full-time