Division/Department: DC Shipping/Receiving
Reports to: DC Warehouse Operations Manager
For the purpose of clarity, Nature Fresh Farms Sales Inc. and Nature Fresh Farms Inc. shall be referred to as Nature Fresh.
At Nature Fresh Farms, we are continuously looking to innovate, develop and design an environment that fosters energy, education, equality, and inspiration. We grow not only plants but also people by empowering and promoting advancement. With this focus, we have created a competitive advantage both with our produce and our people.
The Senior Shipping/Receiving Manager’s focus is strategic as they facilitate personnel management, operational management, and interdepartmental communication. They will be responsible for planning, implementing, and managing our shipping and receiving departments. The Senior Shipping/Receiving Manager also works closely with other areas across the organization to identify any issues in the workflow and correct them to ensure maximum productivity.
Health and Safety
Ensures that safety procedures are always followed. The use of location prescribed Personal Protective Equipment (PPE’s) and supply list listed under Job Specific duties is mandatory. All Health and Safety policies and procedures established by management must be always followed. All Health and Safety policies and procedures pertaining to this position will be initially trained at orientation, and in refresher training completed annually or as needed. A hardcopy of the Health and Safety policies and procedures Handbook pertaining to Nature Fresh is located in the employee break area, in the Human Resources office, or online on the company web for review at any time. Any non-conformance or inquiries pertaining to health and safety must be brought to the attention of your manager and will be dealt with accordingly.
Workplace harassment will not be tolerated from any person in the workplace. Harassment can arise from a variety of sources, such as customers, clients, employers, supervisors, other workers, intimate partners, or family members. Everyone in the workplace must be dedicated to preventing workplace harassment. Managers, supervisors, and workers are expected to uphold this policy at all times and will be held accountable by the employer. For further explanation, please refer to the Employee Handbook or Health and Safety board.
Proper handling and all food safety policies and procedures established by management must be followed at all times. All food safety policies and procedures pertaining to this position will be initially trained at orientation, and in refresher training completed annually or as needed. A hardcopy of the Food Safety policies and procedures Handbook pertaining to Nature Fresh is in the employee break area, in the Human Resources office, or online on the company web for review at any time. Any non-conformance or inquiries pertaining to food safety must be brought to the attention of your manager and will be dealt with accordingly.
Job Specific Duties
- Plan and implement overall Shipping/Receiving strategies by studying processes, procedures, reports, SOPs, and other records to determine and develop priorities, work assignments and shipping methods.
- Ensure company culture is closely monitored and maintained.
- Uses ERP, WMS & TMS to organize and prioritize shipping activities and to view and build reports/analytics.
- Oversees and monitors the status of the storage coolers, to ensure that product is properly stored and rotated.
- Closely monitor the productivity levels of cases shipped and efficiency of staff in order to ensure goals/targets are reached.
- Champion and implement solutions for process optimization and present to senior management.
- Control and monitor the department’s yearly budget.
- Build and maintain professional relationships with relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Works closely with other departmental managers to identify any issues in the workflow and correct them to using root cause analysis and SOPs ensure maximum productivity.
- Monitor and report KPIs and other reporting for upper management as needed.
- Identify shipping/receiving issues and implement solutions in a timely manner.
- Quarterly in-depth review of Shipping/Receiving operations to determine overall levels of efficiency, operational trends, health & safety, employee morale/retention and present findings and recommendations to department heads and upper management.
- Create, modify, and implement safety and security protocols as needed for shipping/receiving staff, including performing after-action reviews following any incidents.
- Keeping a pulse on labour needs based on operational trends, work loads and strategic planning through labour forecasting for all positions within the department including forklift drivers, clerks, truck drivers and supervisors.
- Communication with Logistics, Commodity Managers, Procurement, and Sales when issues arise.
- Working with the team and other department managers to develop new procedures and implement them successfully. Collaborate with members to continuously improve day to day tasks.
- Ensure equipment is properly maintained and serviced. Monitor and adhere to budgets for truck and trailer, forklift, and pallet jack repairs.
- Assist the Warehouse Manager on various assignments and projects related to the department that may arise.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have previous experience in Shipping/Receiving/Warehousing with supervisory experience management a team.
- Post-secondary experience in Management, Supply Chain Management, Transportation, Business is preferred but not a requirement.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office including good Excel skills.
- Very high degree of confidentiality and integrity required regarding all aspect of the business and employee matters.
- Ability to gain trust and maintain respectful relationships with employees at all levels and across all departments is critical.
- Strong troubleshooting skills to identify and resolve complex problems with limited information and changing conditions.
- Critical thinking and ability to make decisions in a timely manner; good judgement and fairness are key.
- Effectively prioritizes work.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to follow directions.
- Comfortable with working in a fast-paced environment and with time sensitive deadlines.
- Strong reading, writing, oral communication, and effective listening are essential skills.
- Commitment to continuous learning.
- A valid driver’s license and use of personal vehicle are required as needed.
- Must be available to work Monday through Saturday including holidays; flexible hours including weekends and extended hours if needed.
- Spanish considered an asset.
- Fast paced warehouse environment where temperatures vary from cooler to temperature-controlled areas.
- Working with a wide array of people/cultures in a team setting. These include guest workers, locals, contractors, vendors, Management, Sales, Maintenance, Purchasing, HR, Compliance, IT etc.
- Works Monday-Saturday and holidays as needed, non-standard work hours. Flexibility with work schedule is required.
- There may be an occasional need for some heavy lifting (when needed).
- Balance between sitting, standing, and walking throughout the warehouse – some desk and office setting.
- This position directly reports to the Warehouse Operations Manager. In the event of an absence, the Assistant Warehouse Manager should be contacted.