Reporting to the Vice President of Operations, the Director of Quality is responsible for ensuring the company’s supply chain is compliant with all food safety, quality, and regulatory requirements in relevant markets across all North America locations. The goal is to help preserve our reputation by ensuring that our products and services are capable of driving sustainable growth.
Include, but not limited to:
- Oversees and continues to expand and strengthen the Quality department with culture driven leadership that attracts high level skilled local employees to fill current and future labor demand.
- Provides leadership to Quality teams, ensuring all performance standards and objectives are met and provides direct evaluation of staff progress as it relates to his or her roles within the department as well as across the organization.
- Provides feedback and coaching to employees.
- Understand customer needs and requirements to develop effective quality control processes.
- Devise, review and approve specifications for products or processes and monitor compliance.
- Ensure adherence to company health and safety guidelines and participate in third Party and Regulatory Audit Preparations.
- Oversee management and supervisory staff; ensuring consistency, providing guidance, feedback, and performance reviews as needed.
- Interact with product development team to identify opportunities and ensure quality standards are met.
- Observe opportunities for operational improvements and develop new efficient procedures as needed.
- Ensure that all products delivered by suppliers meet the quality requirements in close collaboration with the procurement team.
- Remain current with new regulations, standards, and customer requirements.
- Build Quality Control manuals, manage documentation, SOPs and checklists for the products and perform quality audits at suppliers’ facilities when applicable.
- Interact with internal stakeholders to collaborate on the product life cycle including key events such as new product innovation and seasonal management.
- Interact with customers to support quality and regulatory requirements.
- Ensures internal liaison with the appropriate parties to communicate and/or address any quality issues.
- Oversee the creation and update specifications of finished goods as needed.
- Traveling to customer locations to maintain relationships and resolve customer issues that arise.
- Communicate with growers to resolve packaging and quality issues.
- Timely communication of quality issues to local and upper management as they arise.
- Investigate and resolve quality deviations and customer complaints; reporting and communicating findings, as necessary.
- Manage and co-ordinate the training of QA staff in food safety and quality assurance.
- Oversee shelf life and packaging studies. Communicate and verify potential improvements in packaging and processes to improve quality and shelf life of products.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years’ experience in Quality Control Management with proven leadership abilities in a rapidly growing company.
- 2-3 years of demonstrated abilities in managing a team including coaching, employee development and achieving performance goals.
- In-depth understanding of quality control procedures and relevant legal standards.
- Experience working with ERP and proficient MS Office specifically Excel.
- Strong analytic, problem identification and problem resolution skills.
- Exceptional communication abilities, active listening skills and written communication skills.
- Displays strong initiative and able to work independently with little direction, within a fast-paced environment.
- Very high degree of confidentiality and integrity required regarding all aspects of the business.
- A valid driver’s license and use of personal vehicle are required.
- A valid passport and ability to travel locally and internationally are required.
- Mainly office setting with some warehouse/greenhouse as needed – walking sitting and standing throughout the day.
- Full time hours Monday to Friday with Saturdays and holidays (as needed).
- Working with minimal supervision during the day, but also communicating with different individuals and teams across our facilities and from external organizations.
- There may be an occasional need for some heavy lifting (when needed).
- Travel required to different locations within and outside of Canada and locally as needed.