A Greenhouse Supervisor works with the Greenhouse Labor Manager, Human Resources, Health & Safety and the Growers to ensure that production and other processes run smoothly. They are responsible for training, organizing and delegating work and ensuring that employees are applying proper plant maintenance and picking quality fruit for successful plant growth and production.
JOB SPECIFIC DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO
- Ensures employees are aware of and follow their job descriptions and all company policies. Progressive discipline procedures must be adhered to when an employee does not meet quality, production, safety or other regulations. These procedures will be provided by Nature Fresh Management. All non-conformances should be reported to the appropriate personnel.
- Ensures any visitors or non-employees are aware of and follow Nature Fresh food, safety and quality policies.
- Manages the team as per company standards. Written and verbal warnings are issued when necessary and all incidents and absenteeism should be reported to HR or Health & Safety.
- The supervisor shall stay actively involved in employee hands on training and follow-up to ensure all work is done efficiently and correctly. Training and development are required on an on-going basis.
- Responsible for reviewing employee labor tracking system as well as notifying employees if they are not logging jobs and hours properly.
- Motivating and encouraging workers and communicating with them as necessary.
- Plan, delegate and lead the team well to improve performance and quality.
- Complete compulsory paperwork according to policies set out by Nature Fresh.
- Have full understanding of the Canker prevention and control procedure.
- High degree of confidentiality in regard to employee and job-related matters.
- Confidence is necessary when dealing with difficult situations. Each supervisor is provided with policies and procedures to assist them however if the situation persists, we encourage you to talk to your manager.
- Fluency in Spanish would be an asset.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Reading, writing, oral communication and effective listening are essential job tools.
- Leadership, development, treating others with courtesy, sensitivity and respect.
- Excellent communications skills, ability to communicate effectively with reports and management.
- Attention to detail.
- Commitment to continuous learning.
- Makes well-informed, effective and timely decisions.
- Flexibility to change with new information and adapt to changing conditions and obstacles.
- The GH Supervisor spends all their time in the greenhouse. It can be very hot, humid, moist or cold for most of the year. There may be pests and critters in the greenhouse.
- Availability must be open from Monday-Saturday, Sunday on call. Hours will fluctuate according to the needs of the business.
- Working with diverse cultural backgrounds in a team setting but also working very independently.
- S/he is expected to report to work Monday-Saturday sometimes Sunday.
- This is a physical job at times.
- Some heavy lifting, bending, twisting, crouching, and reaching as needed.
- Walking and standing for the majority of the day.
COMPENSATION – Will be based on experience.