For the purpose of clarity, Nature Fresh Farms Sales Inc. and Nature Fresh Farms Inc. shall be referred to as Nature Fresh.
A Greenhouse Supervisor works with the Greenhouse Labor Manager, Human Resources, Health & Safety and the Growers to ensure that production and other processes run smoothly. They are responsible for training, organizing and delegating work and ensuring that employees are applying proper plant maintenance and picking quality fruit for successful plant growth and production. The night shift supervisor monitors the activities of up to two employees that operate the UV-C light which prevents the growth of mildew to provide optimal growth of our strawberry crop.
Health and Safety
Ensure that safety procedures are followed at all times. The use of location prescribed Personal Protective Equipment (PPE’s) and supply list listed under Job Specific duties is mandatory. All Health and Safety policies and procedures established by management must be followed at all times. All Health and Safety policies and procedures pertaining to this position will be initially trained at orientation, and in refresher training completed annually or as needed. A hardcopy of the Health and Safety policies and procedures Handbook pertaining to Nature Fresh is located in the employee break area, in the Human Resources office, or online on the company web for review at any time. Any non-conformance or inquiries pertaining to health and safety must be brought to the attention of your supervisor and will be dealt with accordingly.
Workplace harassment will not be tolerated from any person in the workplace. Harassment can arise from a variety of sources, such as customers, clients, employers, supervisors, other workers, intimate partners or family members. Everyone in the workplace must be dedicated to preventing workplace harassment. Managers, supervisors, and workers are expected to uphold this policy at all times and will be held accountable by the employer. For further explanation, please refer to the Employee Handbook or Health and Safety board.
Proper handling and all food safety policies and procedures established by management must be followed at all times. All food safety policies and procedures pertaining to this position will be initially trained at orientation, and in refresher training completed annually or as needed. A hardcopy of the Food Safety policies and procedures Handbook pertaining to Nature Fresh is located in the employee break area, in the Human Resources office, or online on the company web for review at any time. Any non-conformance or inquiries pertaining to food safety must be brought to the attention of your supervisor and will be dealt with accordingly.
Job Specific Duties
- Ensures employees are aware of and follow their job descriptions and all company policies. Progressive discipline procedures must be adhered to when an employee does not meet quality, production, safety or other regulations. These procedures will be provided by Nature Fresh Management. All non-conformance should be reported to the appropriate personnel
- Ensures any visitors or non-employees are aware of and follow Nature Fresh food, safety and quality policies
- Manages the team as per company standards. Written and verbal warnings are issued when necessary and all incidents and absenteeism should be reported to HR or Health & Safety.
- The supervisor shall stay actively involved in employee hands on training and follow-up to ensure all work is done efficiently and correctly. Training and development is required on an on-going basis
- Responsible for reviewing employee labour tracking system as well as notifying employees if they are not logging jobs and hours properly
- Motivating and encouraging workers and communicating with them as necessary
- Plan, delegate and lead the team well to improve performance and quality
- Complete compulsory paperwork according to policies set out by Nature Fresh
- Have full understanding of the Canker prevention and control procedure
- High degree of confidentiality in regards to employee and job-related matters
- Confidence is necessary when dealing with difficult situations. Each supervisor is provided with policies and procedures to assist them however if the situation persists, we encourage you to talk to your manager
- Fluency in Spanish and English would be an asset
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Reading, writing, oral communication and effective listening are essential job tools
- Leadership, development, treating others with courtesy, sensitivity and respect
- Excellent communications skills, ability to communicate effectively with reports and management.
- Attention to detail
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Makes well-informed, effective and timely decisions
- Flexibility to change with new information and adapt to changing conditions and obstacles
- The GH Supervisor spends all their time in the greenhouse. It can be very hot, humid, moist or cold for most of the year. There may be pests and critters in the greenhouse
- Availability must be open from Monday-Saturday, Sunday on call. Hours will fluctuate throughout the year as this position will begin work one hour before sunset.
- Working with diverse cultural backgrounds in a team setting but also working very independently
- S/he is expected to report to work Monday-Saturday sometimes Sunday
- The GH Supervisor will experience a combination of walking, bending, crouching and sitting throughout their day.
- S/he reports directly to the Director of Growing Operations but regularly communicates with Health and Safety and HR. In the event of an absence, the Director should be contacted.