Reporting to the HR Corporate Director, The Health, Safety, and Wellness Manager oversees all activities of the Health & Safety department including leading all Health, Safety, and Wellness programs and initiatives across the organization. They ensure employee safety and protection measures are in place and compliant with applicable legislation. Their primary responsibility is to identify, remedy and reduce operational, physical, and environmental factors that may cause or contribute to accidents or injury.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Provides expertise and leadership in corporate Health, Safety, and Wellness considerations, including claims
management related to workplace injury for the entire organization.
- Ensures the organization is in compliance with regulations, standards, and policies set forth by governing
- Manages the H&S team to success through support, coaching, hands-on training as they provide the
necessary service levels and promote a positive safety culture
- Develops annual health and safety plans, policies, programs, and procedures for the company based on
assessment of hazards, audits, changing legislation, best practices ensuring Ministry of Labour compliance
- Acts as an advisor/trainer to managers on H&S issues, legislative requirements, best practices and
assisting them with implementation, providing coaching and support on specific employee issues. Works’
cross-functionally with the HR team to resolve issues.
- Develops and manages internal H&S audits of the company, visiting all sites to conduct inspections and
risk assessments on specific tasks with the goal of reducing/addressing risks and ensuring compliance.
- Manages third party inspections incl/timely reporting of issues and implementation of corrective actions
- As Employer Chair overseeing the Joint Health and Safety Committee, ensuring all action items are
followed up on and committee members are adequately trained
- Oversees the return to work and modified work programs, working closely with the H&S team, the
employee, their supervisors, and WSIB to ensure a safe and timely return to work.
- Working with the H&S team on any complex WSIB claims, disputes, or appeals; liaising and providing
guidance where appropriate, ensuring yearly rebates are gained.
- Investigating accidents, incidents, near misses, etc. thoroughly and responding appropriately including
communicating, training, and following up with supervisors and employees
- Provides monthly/annual reports on WSIB, non-loss time injuries. lost time injuries, health-related
absenteeism and other occupational health and safety information
- Oversees H&S training for new and existing employees, management, and visitors to ensure
understanding of potential risks and expected behaviors within the company (WHMIS, lock out tag out,
working at heights, fall protection, safety orientation, safe use of equipment – forklifts, hand tools, proper
PPE, working alone, electrical work restrictions to licensed employees, approved agricultural chemicals
- Oversees the matrix for training requirements, including maintenance and retention of all health and
safety records, renewal dates for certification ensuring employees receive complete training
- Coordinates health and safety supplies ensuring appropriate supplies are identified and purchased in a
timely and cost-effective manner and used appropriately
- Performing other related duties and projects as required
- Minimum 5 years in a Health and Safety leadership role, greenhouse experience is considered an asset
- 5 to 10 years or more of experience implementing and promoting safe work practices and policies
University degree or College diploma in Health and Safety, Human Resource Management, Disability
- Management, Occupational Health Nursing, or a related field. Solid knowledge of OHSA, WMIS, and health
and safety legislation, regulations
- Knowledge of safety law, health & safety best practices, workplace hazards, and control measures
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Solid relationship builder with collaborative negotiation skills and the ability to explain safety programs to
employees and get buy in
- Able to work on cross-functional teams without direct supervisory responsibility of the teams.
- Experience creating and facilitating training programs including delivering safety orientations
- Ability to manage multiple priorities across multiple sites; strong organizational and detail orientation
- Ability to implement and improve systems and processes; enforce standards and procedures and minimize non-conformance of standards; strong follow-through
- Excellent documentation and report writing skills; and efficient document maintenance
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Team player, positive attitude, flexible, adaptable.
- Good Relationship Building and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong computer skills with knowledge of Windows applications, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and ability to prepare accurate reports in a timely manner
- Valid driver’s license and personal vehicle are required.
- Ability and willingness to travel across US/Canada borders. Valid passport required.
- Continuation of learning and development through extra-curricular courses
- Works with a wide array of people in a team setting, these include HR, management, locals, offshore
workers, contractors, etc.
- The greenhouse may be hot, humid, moist, or cold at any time of the year and during cleanout the
greenhouse will be dusty.
- Exposure to pests in the greenhouse.
- Works Monday-Friday, an average of 40-50 hours/week. Must be flexible to work Saturdays or longer
hours as needed.
- Travels from phase to phase frequently
- Spends a fair amount of time both in and out of the office
Compensation is based on experience
Intended job posting audience; anyone that can legally work in Canada.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity and want to join our dynamic team, we encourage you to apply through www.indeed.ca or www.naturefresh.ca.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, however, only those under consideration will be
Nature Fresh Farms is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, beginning with the hiring process. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome applications from candidates, in accordance with all relevant legislation. Nature Fresh Farms provides an accessible environment in which all individuals have access in a way that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.