We are currently seeking an applicant to join our team and fill a full-time position as the Health & Safety Specialist at our greenhouse operation in Leamington, ON.
The Health & Safety Specialist is a hands-on role that works cross-functionally with the Director of Corporate Compliance, H&S Coordinator, the HR team, management, and employees at all levels to promote a positive safety culture, ensure H&S practices, training, and audits are implemented and followed consistently across all areas, and employee safety issues are handled promptly and fairly.
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develops the annual health and safety plans, policies, programs, and procedures for the company based on the assessment of hazards, audit findings, changing legislation, and best practices while ensuring compliance with the Ministry of Labour.
- Acts as an advisor/trainer to managers, supervisors, and employees on H&S policies, legislative requirements, and best practices; and assists them with implementations, providing coaching and support on specific employee issues.
- In collaboration with the H&S Coordinator, investigates accidents, incidents, near misses, etc. thoroughly and responds appropriately through communicating, training, and following up with supervisors and employees. Also identifies and works with management to put remedies in place to prevent future accidents or injuries.
- Creates and facilitates H&S training for new and existing employees, management, and visitors to ensure understanding of potential risks and expected behaviors within the company (WHMIS, lockout tag out, working at heights, fall protection, safety orientation, safe use of equipment – forklifts, hand tools, proper PPE, working alone, electrical work restrictions to licensed employees, Farm-related chemical applications and PPE, construction/enhancements by contractors, maintenance department skills alignment, appropriate licenses and permits for hazardous equipment).
- Develops and manages internal H&S audits, visiting all sites to conduct inspections and risk assessments with the goal of reducing/addressing risks and ensuring compliance.
- Chairs the Joint Health and Safety Committee, ensuring all action items are followed up on and committee members are adequately trained.
- Overseeing the return to work and modified work programs, working closely with H&S Coordinator, Human Resources, the employee(s), their supervisors, and WSIB to ensure a safe and timely return to work.
- Works with the H&S Coordinator on any complex WSIB claims, disputes or appeals; liaising and providing guidance where appropriate, ensuring yearly rebates are gained. Also ensures a return to work plans effective and managers/supervisors are supporting them.
- Performs other related duties and projects as required.
- College diploma in Health and Safety, or Industrial Relations an asset.
- Minimum 3 years hands-on health and safety experience in either a production facility or agriculture are assets.
- Working knowledge of GAP, GMP, HACCP, SQF an asset.
- Solid knowledge of OHSA, WHMIS, and health and safety legislation, regulations
- Knowledge of safety laws, health & safety best practices, workplace hazards, and control measures
- First Aid and CPR certification a must
- Able to build positive relationships, have a collaborative working style, and the ability to explain safety programs/processes to employees in an understandable manner, and get buy-in
- Able to work on cross-functionally with employees at all levels.
- Able to design and deliver health and safety training programs and safety orientations
- Ability to manage multiple priorities across multiple sites; strong organization and detail orientation
- Ability to influence implement and improve systems and processes; enforce standards and procedures and minimize non-conformance of standards; strong follow-through
- Good documentation, report writing, and efficient document maintenance skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good team player, positive attitude, flexible, adaptable. Is compassionate and assertive but fair
- Good computer skills with Windows applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Valid driver’s license and personal vehicle are required.
- Spanish is a definite asset.
- Daily travel from phase to phase – frequent walking/standing
- Work with a variety of employees and teams from different cultural backgrounds, within different settings (greenhouse, warehouse, offices, etc.)
- The greenhouse environment can be very hot, humid, moist, or cold for most of the year and there is exposure to pests.
- Hours will fluctuate according to the ongoing needs of the business
Compensation will be based on experience.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity and want to join our dynamic team, we encourage you to apply in person at 634 Mersea Rd 7, by fax at 519-326-6356
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.