Nature Fresh Farms is a Leamington-based greenhouse company with facilities in Leamington, ON and Delta, OH. Our company and its innovative, dynamic team is expanding every day, growing new plant varieties and introducing cutting-edge ideas and practices to the fresh produce industry. However, at Nature Fresh Farms, we don’t just grow plants – we also grow people. Our team is passionate about bringing the highest quality products to consumers, but it is also committed to creating an inspiring, diverse, and team-oriented workplace environment that everyone can enjoy. Nature Fresh Farms is a recognized leader within the greenhouse farming industry – join our team and help us continue to grow!
The Junior Grower will be learning and supporting the Growers with all growing aspects; growing high crop production yields and good quality vegetables.
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Inspect the crop daily to check the status of the plant health, possible challenges/issues.
- Look for and learn crop behavior, vegetative and generative growth, nutrient deficiencies.
- Make observations and analysis from the crop regarding pruning, leafing, and picking to determine next strategies
- Mix fertilizers as per instructions given by Operational Growers. Ensuring mixing room is always kept clean and organized.
- Reviewing the crop on a weekly and monthly basis with consultant to enhance growing techniques and procedures.
- Daily collection and testing of drip and drain water.
- Weekly collection of water, leaf, and fruit samples for analysis
- interpreting results and adjust fertilizer recipes as per consultant guidelines
- Collect weekly crop registration such as plant growth, leaf length, set fruit, fruit weights etc.
- Scouting for pests and disease and collaborating with the Biological Department.
- Applying pesticide treatments as necessary.
- Responsible for washing and sterilizing the greenhouses at the end of each crop season.
- Help with planting and ensure the greenhouse is ready for planting.
- Rotate On Call schedules for afterhours and weekends.
- Operate the roof washer to brush/clean and apply shade to the roof.
- Bioreactor duties:
- Monitor Bioreactor levels and temperatures
- Mix Fertilizers for Bioreactor
- Collect samples from Bioreactor weekly and send out testing
- Read and interpret data on samples for proper nutrient levels
- Remove sludge from the Bioreactor throughout the week
- Routine cleaning of Bioreactor
- Training with the alarms
- Additional duties as required
- A diploma in botany, horticulture or agriculture is an asset but not a requirement
- 3+ years of growing experience is required
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to prioritize duties
- Good communications skills both written and verbal are needed to work effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Willingness to learn and grow in the position
- Functional experience with Microsoft 365
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written
- Must be able to stand/walk for extended periods of time; some bending, crouching, kneeling, and working at heights may be required.
- Will have exposure to various pesticides and insects including bees.
- Climates within the greenhouses can vary from cold to very warm and can be wet or humid at times.
- The Junior Growers work week is from Monday-Saturday. After hours, on call, weekend and holiday hours may be required.
- Working with various types of people/cultures in a team setting
Salary: Based on experience.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity and want to join our dynamic team, we encourage you to apply by fax at 519-326-6356, through Indeed, or company website. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration will be contacted.
Nature Fresh Farms is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, beginning with the hiring process. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome applications from candidates, in accordance with all relevant legislation. Nature Fresh Farms provides an accessible environment in which all individuals have access in a way that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.