Nature Fresh Farms is a recognized leader within the greenhouse farming industry with facilities in Delta, OH and Leamington, ON, and now in Laredo, TX. Our company and its innovative, dynamic team are expanding every day, growing new plant varieties, and introducing cutting-edge ideas and practices to the fresh produce industry. However, at Nature Fresh Farms, we do not just grow plants – we also grow people. Our team is passionate about bringing the highest quality products to consumers, but it is also committed to creating an inspiring, diverse, and team-oriented workplace environment that everyone can enjoy. Join our team and help us continue to grow!
We are currently seeking an applicant to join our team and fill a full-time position as a Maintenance Technician at our distribution center operation in Laredo, TX.
The maintenance technician position is responsible for performing highly diversified duties to install, troubleshoot, repair, and maintain production and facility equipment according to safety, predictive, and productive maintenance systems and processes to support the achievement of the site’s business goals and objectives.
Maintenance technicians guarantee that contamination has not occurred on the packing lines in order for all packed procedure is in the best condition for distribution. In the event of an absence, the Production Supervisor will appoint another employee who has been fully trained and is competent to complete the job duties pertaining to the position of Maintenance.
The ideal candidate should possess strong technical skills, go get it mindset and must be dynamic and adaptable.
Health and Safety
Ensure that safety procedures are followed at all times. The use of safety shoes is mandatory. When the use of fork-lift is required, the proper training and certification will be completed. All Health and Safety policies and procedures established by management must be followed at all times. All Health and Safety policies and procedures pertaining to this position will be initially trained at orientation, and in refresher training completed annually. A hardcopy of the Health and Safety policies and procedures Handbook pertaining to Nature Fresh is located in the employee break area, in the Human Resources office, or online on the company web for review at any time. Any non-conformance or inquiries pertaining to health and safety must be brought to the attention of your supervisor and will be dealt with accordingly.
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Perform highly diversified duties to install packing line equipment and maintain production machines, greenhouse facilities, and PVC piping and grounds
- Provide emergency/unscheduled repairs of production equipment during production and perform scheduled maintenance repairs of production equipment during machine service
- Perform simple machinist duties and responsibilities as needed.
- Apply mechanic skills including, but not limited to, mechanical, electrical, and troubleshooting repair of production machines.
- Read and interpret equipment manuals and work orders to perform required maintenance and service.
- Diagnose problems, replace, or repair parts, and test and adjust as needed.
- Perform regular preventive maintenance on machines, equipment and plant facilities and forklifts.
- Perform a variety of plumbing maintenance and carpentry functions.
- Use a variety of hand and power tools, electric meters, and material handling equipment in performing duties.
- Detect faulty operations, defective material, and report those and any unusual situations to proper supervisors.
- Comply with Safety Regulations and maintain clean and orderly work areas.
- Calibrate equipment including but not limited to (HVAC compressors, Production wrapper, assembly lines)
- Provide maintenance on AC units, replace filters and other as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Job Specific Duties
- Complete any necessary maintenance of the packing lines or facility.
- No string, cardboard, tape, wire, or other unsuitable material is to be used for temporary repairs.
- Upon completion of a repair or maintenance of equipment all tools, metal fragments, excess grease and lubricants are to be removed.
- A RRM is completed by each service technician when work is performed on any equipment that impacts Food Safety.
- Each record must be dated and signed (or initialed) by the service technician and given to the maintenance manager.
- The maintenance technician tracks repairs and determines if and when any piece of equipment would have to be added to the Maintenance Program.
- Perform weekly and daily checks on warehouse thermometers, forklifts, AC units, and report findings to production supervisor and EHS personnel.
- Inspect production conveyors and address repairs as needed to guarantee correct equipment functioning.
- Apply critical thinking and provide creative solutions to address the issues that arise with the facility and equipment. Support production team, so equipment is always running, and daily and weekly goals are met.
- The maintenance tech is responsible for checking their work orders on ConnectWise and prioritizing them on a regular basis. The Production Supervisor would assist with prioritizing.
- Closing work orders as completed.
- The Maintenance Program includes:
- Any required tasks that were completed, and all tasks are recorded as completed on the appropriate RRM.
- The technician signs off and dates the bottom of the RRM and indicates that equipment has been cleaned and tools have been cleaned and sanitized.
- Calibration and cleaning on existing equipment to optimize equipment functioning.
- Perform preventive maintenance on assigned equipment.
- High School diploma with technical training and/or experience
- Background in mechanical and/or electrical maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair.
- PLC, packing line, conveyor maintenance experience is an asset.
- Experience with forklifts, conveyors, hydraulic and/or pneumatic equipment an asset
- Must be knowledgeable in standard maintenance practices (such as lubrication, adjustments, set-up, calibration, etc.)
- Automated Process Control or Material Handling Equipment maintenance experience
- Ability to use standard hand/power tools and shop equipment.
- Able to complete all work duties and procedures efficiently, according to instructions given by Supervisor and/or Manager.
- Ability to complete duties with minimal supervision.
- Ability to provide accurate information to their supervisor based on their duties and responsibilities.
- Must possess great communication skills, both verbal and written, to liaise with all levels of workers within the organization.
- Ability to work varying shifts including weekends and holidays.
- Frequent exposure to moving mechanical parts and vibration.
- Noise levels in the work area can be loud.
- Dynamic and active work environment.
- With an active and dynamic work environment, the Maintenance Technician will be standing, walking, bending, kneeling, and stooping.
- Must be able to frequently lift and/or move items over 30 pounds.
- Expected to work daytime hours Monday – Saturday, hours my fluctuate according to business needs.
- Fast paced warehouse environment where temperatures vary from cooler to temperature-controlled areas to warmer environments in the warehouse.
- Balance between sitting, standing, and walking throughout the warehouse.
- Working with a wide array of people/cultures in a team setting. These include locals, contractors, vendors, etc.
- Working with minimal supervision during the day but also communicating with other departments as necessary
- Walking, sitting, and standing throughout the day.
- Must be capable of lifting and handling heavy loads (up to 30 lbs.)
Compensation: DOE; Hourly position $16.00 – $18.00
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity and want to join our dynamic team, we encourage you to apply in person at 10228 Crossroads Loop – Laredo, TX 78045 or through www.naturefresh.ca
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Nature Fresh Farms USA Inc provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.