Nature Fresh Farms is a Leamington-based greenhouse company with facilities in Leamington, ON and Delta, OH. Our company and its innovative, dynamic team is expanding every day, growing new plant varieties and introducing cutting-edge ideas and practices to the fresh produce industry. However, at Nature Fresh Farms, we don’t just grow plants – we also grow people. Our team is passionate about bringing the highest quality products to consumers, but it is also committed to creating an inspiring, diverse, and team-oriented workplace environment that everyone can enjoy. Nature Fresh Farms is a recognized leader within the greenhouse farming industry – join our team and help us continue to grow!
We are currently looking to fill permanent full-time position for an Operational Grower – Strawberries at our Leamington, ON location.
The Operational Grower oversees all growing strategies and plant health of our Strawberry crop. Their primary responsibility is to identify optimal growing strategies for high yield, high quality, high tasting product. They oversee climate control, fertilization, irrigation, grow lights and biocontrol programs.
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage climate, irrigation, and grow light controls via computer, adjust as necessary due to weather/season/stage of the strawberry crop.
- Inspect all greenhouse areas on a continuous daily basis; the status of the plant health, possible challenges/issues.
- Make observations and analysis on the strawberry crop regarding pruning, de-leafing and picking to determine next strategies. Coordinate labour requirements with the Operations Manager and Supervisors.
- Submit water samples to the lab, interpreting results and adjusting fertilizer recipes accordingly.
- Maintain plant registrations, prepare reports and analysis. Keep up-to date crop layout maps of the greenhouse.
- Responsible for IPM program, creating solutions for proactive prevention of pests/diseases. Work closely with the Biocontrol Supervisor.
- Oversee the use of pesticides or chemicals if required and ensure proper protocols are followed.
- Oversee fertilizer room cleanliness, organization, checking levels of tanks and security of area.
- Oversee cleaning and sanitization of all chemical application equipment.
- Keep records of the day-to-day operations, analyze graphs, and make changes if needed for current day.
- Reviewing the strawberry crop on a weekly basis with our consultant to enhance growing techniques and procedures.
- Responsible for washing and sterilizing the greenhouses at the end of each crop season.
- Manage the planting schedules and ensure the greenhouse is ready for planting.
- Lead, coach, and counsel the Junior Grower/Grower Assistant and Biological Team, including developing action plans.
- Conduct annual performance reviews and reporting of department expectations, goals, and objectives.
- Stay actively involved in employee hands on training and follow-up to ensure all work is done efficiently and correctly. Training and development are required on an on-going basis.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- 3+ years of growing experience in strawberries required.
- Leadership and problem-solving abilities.
- Flexible to work on weekends/after hours as needed.
- Willingness to learn and grow in the position.
- Functional experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Valid driver’s license and personal vehicle are required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Team player, positive attitude, flexible, adaptable.
- Good Relationship Building and conflict resolution skills.
- Ensures all company, client, policies, procedures, standards etc. are adhered to.
- Growers spends most of their time in the greenhouse. It can be very hot, humid, moist, or cold. for most of the year. There may be bees, pests, and critters in the greenhouse.
- On-call schedule will be determined with the team for after hours.
- Working with various types of people in a team setting but also works independently.
- Constant communication with Sales, Purchasing, Scouts, Labour Supervisors, Maintenance, Consultants, Managers and Health and Safety is imperative. This may be through phone or email.
- The Grower is expected to report to work Monday-Saturday
- Works with a diverse group of employees, management, and departments.
Compensation: Based on experience.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity and want to join our dynamic team, we encourage you to apply by fax at 519-326-6356, through Indeed, or company website. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration will be contacted.
Nature Fresh Farms is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, beginning with the hiring process. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome applications from candidates, in accordance with all relevant legislation. Nature Fresh Farms provides an accessible environment in which all individuals have access in a way that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.