JK Farms is a joint venture operation with Nature Fresh Farms Inc. We are a 30-acre state-of-the art greenhouse facility that is committed to quality tomato production. We are seeking an energetic Operations Manager with lots of initiative, and drive to manage all aspects of the operations.
The Operations Manager is responsible for Farm operations; overseeing each department from the Growers to production to administration; to ensure all departments are running as smoothly and efficiently and are working together to grow and deliver high quality produce that meets the expectations of our clients and consumers. This is a hands-on role requiring a positive leader who is not afraid of challenges, is good at problem-solving and will roll up their sleeves and handle anything thrown at them.
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Directly responsible for the greenhouse and warehouse operations, IPM program, Energy, Growers, Maintenance, Purchasing, Human Resources, IT, Finance and Administration.
- Works with the Owner to establish short and long-term operational goals that fit within the overall operational objectives.
- Provides leadership and fosters a work environment of positive energy, creativity, teamwork and collaboration between departments and employees.
- Sets objectives for each department, communicates, coaches, and holds staff and supervisors accountable for achieving agreed objectives.
- Establishes and ensures implementation of departmental policies, procedures, and technology.
- Determines staffing requirements, screens, and hires suitable candidates.
- Conducts regular meetings with management to review operational issues and set objectives.
- Mitigates operational risks and makes effective and timely decisions to ensure the operations runs smoothly.
- Proactively resolves employee issues through proper communication, coaching and problem resolution.
- Monitors the working environment to ensure that Company, Labour, Occupational Health and Safety and Food Safety policies and regulations are complied with.
- Sources and hires outside contractors and suppliers as required to maintain the facility.
- Oversees and works within the established budgets; measures productivity and areas for improvement.
- Completes annual performance reviews and compensation processes.
- Post-secondary education in Management or Business is preferred
- 5+ years of successful experience managing all aspects of a production facility, planning, budgeting, resource allocation, coordination of staffing and leadership management.
- Must have a diverse knowledge of agriculture, greenhouse and warehouse operations, Finance, Purchasing, HR, Health & Safety, etc.
- High degree of confidentiality and integrity required regarding all aspects of the business.
- Ability to embrace challenges and use critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Delegation, negotiation, conflict management, stress tolerance, planning and organizing, time management and follow up skills are essential.
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards in a diverse workplace
- Reliable memory; attention to detail
- Good computer skills; MS Office experience
- Respectful, positive attitude, flexible, accountable, honest, patient, and dependable
- A Commitment to continuous learning
- A valid driver’s license and use of a personal vehicle are required.
- A valid passport and the ability to travel locally and internationally are
- Travels from one location to the next or phase to phase as required – extended walking, standing.
- Works with a diverse group of employees and outside contracting companies.
- Fast paced environment
- The warehouses/greenhouses may be hot, humid moist or cold at any time of the year.
- Exposure to pests in the greenhouse
- Works Monday-Saturday, non-standard work hours. Flexibility with work schedule is required.
Salary: Depending on skills and experience.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.