We are seeking a proactive Procurement Manager for our Canadian operations. The incumbent will assist our Director of Procurement with expanding and strengthening our overall access to greenhouse and perishable commodities and developing our grower and vendor relationships, to ensure Nature Fresh Farms meets their service commitments to retail partners in the United States and Canada.
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinates the spot and replenishment purchasing, product flow, and distribution of greenhouse and perishable commodities for NFF.
- Negotiates or assists with the negotiations of all grower and vendor greenhouse commodity. contracts including investigating and/or interviewing potential suppliers to determine if they meet the specified requirements.
- Develops effective sourcing strategies to ensure uninterrupted flow of commodities.
- Seeks out and partners with reliable growers and vendors and strengthens/maintains positive relationships with both.
- Evaluates the overall effectiveness of the Growers Contracts and Communications Strategy including assessing and mitigating risks to the purchasing strategy and supply chain.
- Coordinates supply chain management including resource planning, scheduling, and perishable inventory control.
- Coordinates all activities related to procurement of a commodity beginning with intent to purchase through delivery.
- Advises team members or management on the appropriate supplier to be used.
- Coordinates with regional departments to ensure consistent quality and smooth flows of product and information.
- Analyzes the requirements of the commodity, including preliminary specifications, preferred supplier, and the date commodity is needed.
- Analyzes NFF’s growing plans, varieties, and acreage, and assists with determining how reorganization of same might better mesh with the needs of Export Trade Customers.
- Assists NFF growers and management in forecasting yield projections.
- Collaborates with NFF growers, contract growers, and sales in establishing greater communication between sales and farm.
- Monitors and forecasts seasonal supply needs and upcoming changes in levels of demand.
- Prepares data for seasonal bids.
- Approves purchase orders in the system.
- Tracks and reports key functional metrics to reduce costs and improve effectiveness.
- Manages quality control, product rejections and assists with resolution of vendor disputes.
- Solicits and evaluates proposals for the requested commodity.
- Negotiates the lowest possible cost for the commodity balanced against the optimum quality and schedule needs.
- Assures that the commodity is delivered on schedule, at the negotiated price, and meets the quality standards of the company; advises Director of any price and supply issues.
- Maintains timely control of orders, amendments, shipping notices, and other documents to assure accurate retention of records.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Minimum of 1-2 years managerial experience within the greenhouse produce industry.
- Minimum of 5 years sales procurement experience within the greenhouse produce industry.
- Must have commodity related experience with minimum 1-2 years leading and managing a team.
- Very good understanding of logistic routes, (ground, sea, and air freight).
- Must be fluent in English, with strong written and verbal communication, active listening skills.
- Proven negotiating skills with strong problem-identification and problem-solving skills are essential.
- Strong time management, delegation, planning, and organizational skills are essential.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office are essential.
- Must have strong follow through and prioritization as many tasks require constant follow-up.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and attention to detail are essential.
- Displays strong initiative and ability to work independently with little direction, within a fast-paced environment.
- Very high degree of confidentiality and integrity required regarding all aspects of the business.
- A valid driver’s license and use of personal vehicle are required.
- A valid passport and ability to travel locally and internationally are required.
- Must be committed to continuous learning as every day presents new information and exciting challenges.
- Must be available to work flexible hours including weekends and extended hours if needed.
- Fast paced environment working with a wide array of people/cultures in a team setting.
- Office setting: with frequent travel within and outside of Canada which includes the greenhouse farm.
Salary: Wage based on experience
Work Location: Leamington, ON
Job Type: Full-time