During the busy school week, having a lunchbox option on hand that you can make ahead of time is a real lifesaver. These easy vegetarian Black Bean Empanadas are perfect for throwing into a lunchbox with your kids’ favorite sides.
- Wash all produce before cooking.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add peppers, onions and Tomatoes. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Add black beans and taco seasoning. Cook additional 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Lay Empanada dough out on parchment-lined baking sheet. Fill with black bean filling and 1 Tbsp. cheese. Fold dough over filing to create a pocket. Use fork to press down on sides to seal. Brush with egg whites.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from over and let cool.
- Serve 2 Empanadas with guacamole for dipping and Crispy Green on side.
Thanks to Produce For Kids for providing us with this great recipe as part of our “Power Your Lunchbox” participation! Check out their website here!