- Add oil to a large pot over medium heat.
- When oil is heated, add onion, carrot, celery and garlic; sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft.
- Drain & rinse beans, add them to the pot along with tomatoes, peppers, stock, rosemary and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat so the soup bubbles steady.
- Cover and cook. Stir once or twice to break up the tomatoes, until the flavors meld.
- Remove and discard rosemary and thyme stems, and stir in kale.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Lay bread slices on top of the stew so they cover the top and overlap as little as possible.
- Scatter red onion slices over the top, drizzle with the remaining 3 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Put the pot in the oven and bake until the bread, onions and cheese are browned and crisp.
- Divide the soup and bread among 4 bowls and serve.
Chef’s Tip: For extra protein, add chicken.