How Are You Spreading Kindness?
During a time when we need it most, let’s encourage and inspire the people around us to be kinder! Random Acts of Kindness Week, which runs from February 17th to 23rd in 2021, is the perfect time to start spreading more kindness–not just to your friends and family, but also to your community, the planet, and yourself.
Here are some special ideas for how you can celebrate Random Acts of Kindness Week in 2021!
Think Differently About Kindness
When we talk about spreading kindness, it usually involves those closest to us or those in the community. It’s natural for our friends and family to come to mind first when thinking about who deserves a kind gesture or for their spirits to be lifted. And we know that many of our neighbors, community groups, and charitable organizations are often thankful for an extra helping hand. So, with Random Acts of Kindness Week on the horizon, keep these different people in mind when deciding how you’ll celebrate!
But there are two other ways to think about spreading kindness that may not come to your mind as quickly: spreading kindness for our planet and for yourself. Random acts of kindness that are good for the planet can have a lasting impact on your daily habits, as well as set a great example for those around you. And being kinder to yourself is one of the best ways to maintain your physical, emotional, and mental well-being.
Now that we know where to spread kindness during Random Acts of Kindness Week, let’s look at how we can do it!
12 Special Random Acts of Kindness Ideas for 2021
This year, Random Acts of Kindness Week may look a little different. But different doesn’t mean you can’t still spread kindness in a meaningful way! Here are 12 of our best ideas for celebrating Random Acts of Kindness Week in 2021.
For Your Friends & Family
Here are a few random acts of kindness for you to share with family and friends to spread some extra joy (all while keeping everyone safe and healthy):
- A random phone call or video call – Is there a family member you haven’t spoken to in a long time, or a friend you want to catch up with? Random Acts of Kindness Week is the perfect time to reconnect with the people you may have lost touch with recently! Surprise them with a phone call or video call, ask them how they’re doing, and enjoy catching up together.
- Send greeting cards – Who says you can only send greeting cards on someone’s birthday or during the holidays? Send a greeting card or postcard in the mail, or email someone an interactive e-card–just because! Small acts of kindness like sending someone something in the mail will make their day and serve as a reminder that you are thinking about them.
- Set up a virtual coffee, lunch, or dinner date – Put a little more planning into your Random Acts of Kindness Week celebrations by setting up a virtual coffee, lunch, or dinner date with someone special. Set a time and decide what you’ll be enjoying during your virtual visit together. Find our best tips for planning a virtual dinner date here!
For Your Community
Many people in our communities need some extra kindness, especially during difficult times. Here are some special random acts of kindness ideas to help you make meaningful connections with people in your community:
- Donate to a charity or food bank – Donations can go a long way for charitable organizations facing difficult circumstances. If there is a community organization that you want to support, reach out to them online or by phone to ask what kind of support they currently need. They may ask for monetary donations, food items, clothing, your time, or some other type of support. If it’s within your means to support them, they will be thankful for the extra helping hand!
- Support a vulnerable neighbor – Do you have a neighbor who could use some extra help? It could be as simple as offering to bring their trash bins in from the curb, shovel their driveway, or even pick up some groceries or medication they need. As long as you are able to help in a safe way, offering a helping hand to a neighbor in need is a great way to spread more kindness.
- Pay it forward – One of the simplest ways to spread kindness is by paying for someone else–even if they’re a stranger! Offer to pay for the person behind you while in line at the drive-thru, or to buy a drink for someone you’ve been chatting with while standing in line at the coffee shop. These small acts of kindness often have a ripple effect, encouraging that same stranger to pass along an act of kindness to someone else!
For Our Planet
Want to show some kindness to Mother Nature during Random Acts of Kindness Week? Here are a few ideas to show our planet some extra love:
- Pick up litter – While you’re out for a walk, why not pick up litter that you see on the sidewalk or side of the road? Before you head out, bring some essentials with you like a garbage bag, gloves, and a trash picker stick (if you have one) so you can keep yourself clean. This will help keep your neighborhood tidy while removing trash from the environment.
- Choose to walk, run, or bike somewhere – Instead of driving,choose to walk, run, or bike to your destination. By choosing a greener mode of transportation, you can limit the emissions from your vehicle and get a workout at the same time!
- Give a green gift – Give a friend or family member a green gift to encourage eco-friendly living! This can be something simple like a reusable straw, container, or bag, seed packets, or beeswax food wraps.
And last (but definitely not least), don’t forget to treat yourself with kindness during Random Acts of Kindness Week! Let’s take a look at a few self-care ideas to show yourself some extra kindness:
- Make yourself a fancy meal – Eat your heart out and make yourself a fancy meal to enjoy at home. Choose one of your favorite dishes or check out our Recipes page for inspiration. And don’t forget the veggies!
- Relax and take a break – Take some time for yourself and relax. Run a bath, read a good book, light a candle, put on your comfy clothes–do whatever it is that helps you unwind.
- Get active –There are a lot of different ways you can stay physically active to keep your body loose and limber. Try going for a walk every day or planning a hike on some local trails. You can also find an at-home exercise routine to commit to or a virtual fitness class to attend online. Moving your body for at least 30 minutes every day is a great way to maintain your physical and mental well-being!
Get Creative During Random Acts of Kindness Week
The sky is the limit during Random Acts of Kindness Week! Think outside the box when coming up with the random acts of kindness you hope to spread during this special time. Although this year may look a little different, the more creative you can get with spreading kindness, the more people will appreciate the effort you put in to make them feel special.